Monday, July 20, 2009

Book Club: "The Man in the White Sharkskin Suit"

We gathered at Sheila's on Sunday afternoon to discuss The Man in the White Sharkskin Suit. It's a memoir about a family of Egyptian Jews who were forced out of Cairo in the early sixties, emigrated to Paris and then to America. The central character is the father, Leon, who is the "man in the white sharkskin suit." Lucette, his younger daughter and the author, had a close and loving relationship with him but she is forthright about his faults and foibles as well as his virtues.

We spoke about the immigrant experience and whether our parents or grandparents were happy or sad to have come to America. I realized that I never knew the exact reason my grandparents came here. In my paternal grandparents' case I assumed there was some persecution, but my maternal grandfather was wealthy in Greece and was raised like an aristocrat. I was not sure what motivated him to come to America.

Sheila always leads a fascinating discussion fueled by her insightful questions. Kudos to her! Our next book will be Born on a Blue Day.

No comments: